Using the Power of Photography to Promote Global Awareness
Winners of SDN Call for Entries
- Management Sciences for Health Photography Fellowship Grand Prize Winners: Gwenn Dubourthoumieu & Mark Tuschman
- SDN Documentary Prize: Fausto Podavini
- Honorable Mentions: Carol Allen Storey and Suvra Kanti Das
Photography and Global Health
February 27, 6:30 – 7:30 pm
(immediately preceding exhibition reception)
- Barbara Ayotte: Director of Strategic Communications, Management Sciences for Health (MSH). Barbara will talk about the Photo Fellowship program and how MSH uses work by photographers in its communications.
- Todd Shapera: 2013 SDN/MSH Photo Fellow. Todd will present multimedia highlights from his 2012 MSH (Management Sciences for Health) photo fellowship documenting impressive health gains in Rwandan villages, clinics, and hospitals. Prior to Rwanda, Todd has photographed extensively in remote regions of East Africa and Central America for USAID, Winrock International, the World Bank, and EcoLogic Development Fund focusing on public health, economic development, and conservation.
- Mark Tuschman: 2014 SDN/MSH Photo Fellow. Mark will present work from his extensive career photographing for leading global health organizations including the United Nations Family Planning Association (UNFPA), the Global Fund for Women, the Packard Foundation, EngenderHealth, Merk for Mothers, and many others.
February 27, 7:30 – 9:00 pm
From a pool of 140 submissions from across the globe, the jurors chose this outstanding work for recognition. The jurors for support of this Call for Entries were:
- Shahidul Alam, Founder, Drik Photo Agency, Bangladesh
- Barbara Ayotte, Director of Strategic Communications, Management Sciences for Health, Boston
- Dimitri Beck, Editor-in-Chief, Polka Magazine, Paris
- Manoocher Deghati, AP Middle East Regional Photo Editor, Cairo
- Jennifer Pritheeva Samuel, Director, Anastasia Photo, New York
- Glenn Ruga, Founder and Director, SocialDocumentary.net, Boston
Gwenn Dubourthoumieu from France and Mark Tuschman from the United States are winners of the Management Sciences for Health (MSH) Photography Fellowship Grand Prize and will each receive a $4,000 honorarium and an expense-paid two-week assignment to document MSH's global health projects. Fausto Podavini from Italy wins the SDN Documentary Prize and will receive a $1,000 cash award. Suvra Kanti Das from Bangladesh and Carol Allen Storey from England are Honorable Mentions.