Assuring the Quality of Community-Based Health Services in Madagascar—a New Approach
The USAID Mikolo Project created a new approach to assure, improve, and sustain the quality of community-based health services.This technical brief describes the Mikolo approach and assesses its impact on community health volunteer performance between 2014 and 2016.
The USAID Mikolo Project quality assurance / quality improvement approach included ve key activities:
- Formal training or refresher training every year
- On-the-job coaching and mentorship once every two months
- Monthly performance monitoring and group supervision at the health facility
- Standards-based competency evaluation every quarter
- Annual certication or re-certication every eight months