Transforming Organizations to Improve Health
Global awareness of the health problems faced by developing countries has increased, resulting in a widespread desire to address these issues through a combined public sector, CSO, and private sector approach. The need is more urgent than ever for CSOs to have effective governance systems in place, to ensure that they fulfill their stated mission and use the resources granted to them in an effective and transparent manner. A common form of governance among CSOs is to assign ultimate responsibility for the organization’s actions to a Board of Directors, a group of people who are elected or designated to oversee the work of the organization. The VCGP is designed to strengthen these boards.
Program Overview and Objectives
This program uses a learning model that combines individual learning through the Internet with participatory (face-to-face) work in teams and interactions with other participants, among teams, and with the facilitators through the VCGP website. This program is organized in five modules. Each contains theoretical frameworks, readings, face-to-face group work, and exchanges among participants and the facilitators through the Café on the website and via email. The facilitators support the teams in the development of their assignments.
Each module of the program lasts one to two weeks.
The modules include:
Module 1: Beginning the Program
Module 2: The Role of a Board of Directors
Module 3: Maintaining Good Governance
Module 4: Effective Functioning of a Board of Directors
Module 5: Coming to a Close
How will participants benefit?
At the end of the eight-week program, board members will be able to:
- Explain the importance of having an effective governance system in place.
- Describe the structure, roles, and responsibilities of the Board of Directors.
- Establish commitments regarding collaboration and effective communication between the board of directors and the organization’s management team.
- Develop an action plan to improve governance which incorporates priority activities of the board.
- Develop a good governance policy.