MSH Haitian Health Experts to Speak at Events Commemorating First Anniversary of Haiti Earthquake
(Cambridge, MA) January 12, 2011 marks the first anniversary of the 7.0 magnitude earthquake that devastated Haiti in 2010. MSH’s Haitian health experts will speak at two Washington, D.C. events discussing recovery efforts, policy, and long-term development.
MSH staff were part of the immediate response, tending to the wounded and delivering medicines, including antiretrovirals to area hospitals. MSH's nearly 200 person staff in Haiti has been working with local partners and the Ministry of Health in Haiti to implement three major projects funded by USAID to strengthen the country’s health system at the national and local levels.
Haiti, One Year On: Realizing Country Ownership in a Fragile State
Tuesday, January 11, 2011, 3:00-5:00 p.m., B-340, Rayburn House Office Building, Capitol Hill
Dr. Florence Duperval Guillaume, MSH’s Deputy Chief of Party and Technical Director, Santé pour le Développement et la Stabilité d’Haïti, will be discussant at this Oxfam America-hosted policy discussion to examine aid effectiveness in Haiti within the context of country ownership. Other speakers will include:
- Cokie Roberts, Political Commentator for ABC News and Senior News Analyst for National Public Radio, Washington, DC; Opening Remarks.
- Congressman Albio Sires, 13th Congressional District of New Jersey, Keynote Speaker.
- Angela Bruce Raeburn, Senior Policy Advisor for Humanitarian Response, Oxfam America, Moderator.
- Thomas C. Adams, Special Coordinator to Haiti, State Department, Discussant.
- Russell Porter, Director, USAID Haiti Task Team, Discussant.
- Robert Maguire, Chair, Haiti Working Group, U.S. Institute of Peace Associate Professor of International Affairs, Trinity Washington University, Discussant.
- Ray Offenheiser, President, Oxfam America, Discussant.
Places for the event are limited. To RSVP, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit the MSH blog to view a live webcast on January 11.
Haiti One Year Later
Tuesday, January 11, 2011, 4:00-6:30 pm, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, 1615 H. Street NW, Washington, DC 20062
Georges DuBuche, MSH’s Senior Technical Advisor for Private Sector Coordination, Santé pour le Développement et la Stabilité d’Haïti, will be one of the speakers at this joint forum of InterAction and the Business Civic Leadership Center. At the forum, Haiti Aid Map—a pilot project made possible by FedEx that details the work of NGOs in Haiti—will be formally launched. The map is designed to provide better information on "who is doing what, where" to enable better giving and investment strategies. The forum will also feature panel and group discussions on Haiti's recovery and NGO-business coordination.
MSH in Haiti
MSH has been working in Haiti for the last 30 years to build comprehensive health services and has been helping Haiti's Ministry of Health to rebuild the country's health system in the aftermath of the earthquake. MSH currently leads three USAID-funded health projects there.